Mark Thoelke, MD
Professor of Medicine
- Phone: 314-362-1700
- Fax: 314-362-9878
- Professor of Medicine
- BS, Microbiology: University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL (1982)
- Medical Degree: University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL (1990)
- Residency, Internal Medicine: Barnes-Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO (1993)
- Chief Residency: Barnes-Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO (1994)
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Teacher of the Year, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, 2004
- Patient Safety and Quality Star, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO, 2005
- Fellow in Hospital Medicine, Society of Hospital Medicine, Inaugural Class, 2009
- Senior Fellow in Hospital Medicine, Society of Hospital Medicine, Inaugural Class, 2010
- Friend of Nursing Award, by BJH, 2014
- Award for Clinical Excellence, Society of Hospital Medicine, 2016
- Neville Grant Award for Clinical Excellence, Medical Staff Association, 2019
Hospital medicine, inpatient care, pneumonia, patient safety, VTE, pancreatitis, adrenal insufficiency
Odom DC, Gronowski AM, Odom E, Clutter W, Thoelke M. A Single, Post-ACTH Cortisol Measurement to Screen for Adrenal Insufficiency in the Hospitalized Patient. J Hosp Med. 2018 Feb 7:E1-E5.
Chen I, Fohtung R. Oughli H, Bauer R, , Mattar C, Powderly W, Thoelke MS. Concurrent Ramsay Hunt syndrome and disseminated herpes zoster in a patient with relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia. ID Case Reports. 2016:6:79-82.
Thoelke MS. One More Fact to Know about Inpatient Glycemic Control. Am J Med. 2016:129:e253.
Meyer AM, Green M, Pautler HM, Korenblat K, Deal EN, Thoelke MS. Impact of Vitamin K Administration on INR Changes and Bleeding Events Among Patients with Cirrhosis. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2016; 50:113-7.
Freer JM, Green MS, Iuppa JA, Deal EN, Thoelke MS. Analysis of Enoxaparin Dose Titration at a Large Tertiary Teaching Facility. Clin and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis. 2015;21:720-3.
Kilpatrick RC, Elliott MC, Pratt, E, Schafers SJ, Blackburn MC, Heard K, McGill JB, Lynch JP, Thoelke, MS, Tobin GS. Prevention of Inpatient Hypoglycemia with a Real-Time Informatics Alert. J Hosp Med. 2014;9: 621-6.
Schwarz, E. and Thoelke, M. Altered Mental Status and Hyperammonemia after Overdose of Valproic Acid with Therapeutic Valproic Acid Concentrations. International Journal of Clinical Medicine 2014;5:546-549.
Wang TF, Wong CA, Milligan PE, Thoelke MS, Woeltje KF, Gage BF. Risk factors for inpatient venous thromboembolism despite thromboprophylaxis. Thromb Res. 2013;133:25-29.
Wang TF, Milligan PE, Wong CA, Deal EN, Thoelke MS, Gage BF. Efficacy and safety of high-dose thromboprophylaxis in morbidly obese inpatients. Thromb Haemost. 2013;111(2):88-93.
Adamo L and Thoelke M. Generalised Insulin Oedema after Intensification of Treatment with Insulin Analogues. BMJ Case Reports. 2013 Feb 20. pii: bcr2012007037. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2012-007037.
Thoelke, M. The Rate of Hydration in Acute Pancreatitis. J Hosp Med. 2010 Jul-Aug;5(6):374.
Gutjahr C, and Thoelke M. Perioperative Cardiac Assessment of Orthopedic Surgery Patients. Am J Med. 2007 Nov;120(11):e27.
Quartarollo J. and M.Thoelke. Reporting of Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate: Effect on Physician Recognition of Chronic Kidney Disease and Prescribing Practices in Elderly Hospitalized Patients. J Hosp Med. 2007;2:74-8.
Thoelke, M. Practice Profile: Washington University Hospital Medicine Division. The Hospitalist. 2003;4: 25-26.
Thoelke, M.S., J.M. Casper, and G.W. Ordal. Methyl Group Turnover on Methyl-Accepting Chemotaxis Proteins during Chemotaxis by Bacillus subtilis. J. Biol. Chem. 1990;265:1928-1932.
Thoelke, M.S., J.M. Casper, and G.W. Ordal. Utilization of Methyl Transfer in Chemotaxis Toward Sugars by Bacillus subtilis. J. Bacteriol. 1990;172:1148-1150.
Thoelke, M.S., J.R. Kirby, and G.W. Ordal. Novel Methyl Transfer during Chemotaxis in Bacillus subtilis. Biochemistry. 1989;28:5585-5589.
Thoelke, M.S., H.M. Parker, E.A. Ordal, and G.W. Ordal. Rapid Attractant-Included Changes in Methylation of Methyl-Accepting Chemotaxis Proteins in Bacillus subtilis. Biochemistry.1988;27:8453-8457.
Bedale, W.A., D.O. Nettleton, C.S. Sopata, M.S. Thoelke, and G.W. Ordal. Evidence for Methyl Group Transfer between the Methyl-Accepting Chemotaxis Proteins in Bacillus subtilis. J.Bacteriol.1988;170:223-227.
Thoelke, M.S., W.A. Bedale, D.O. Nettelton, and G.W. Ordal. Evidence for an Intermediate Methyl-Acceptor for Chemotaxis in Bacillus subtilis. J. Biol. Chem. 1987:26;2811-2816.