The Medicine Consult Service is the inpatient medicine consultation service that runs in collaboration with Barnes-Jewish Hospital internal medicine resident physicians. Inpatient medical consultation is performed by hospitalist physicians in conjunction with the Medicine Consult Service teaching service. The Medicine Consult Service provides expertise in a number of areas, with a focus on:
- Perioperative evaluation, risk stratification, and management
- Management of medical disease, including diabetes, hypertension, coronary, renal, and pulmonary disease
- Assistance in diagnostic evaluation
- Management of the unstable patient and transition to critical care
- Complications of medical therapy.
Routine consultations are staffed daily, and emergent consultations are performed 24 hours daily.
Physicians from non-internal medicine services at Barnes-Jewish Hospital whose patients require internal medicine consultation should contact the medicine consult resident. Patients are staffed with Hospital Medicine physicians daily.
Primary care physicians from within or outside the BJC system who wish to have their patients followed by hospitalists while admitted should call 314-362-1700.