On July 27-28, fourteen hospitalists (both new and experienced) participated in the first “Roads to Success” course organized by Dennis Chang, MD, Eileen Lee, MD and Alex Thomas, MD. Topics were conveyed through a mix of didactics, group discussion, and hands-on practice, and included:
- creating safe and inclusive learning environments,
- designing effective presentations and improving public speaking skills,
- best quality improvement and patient safety practices,
- work-life integration and relationship building,
- getting the most out of a mentor-mentee relationship,
- and envisioning a path to career success.
Abby Spencer, MD (Professor and Vice Chair for Education, Director, Academy of Educators, DOM) gave kudos to Drs. Chang, Lee and Thomas for their successful organization of the two-day “Roads to Success” course for hospitalists. In her words, it was an “outstanding faculty development program your team built for new and junior hospitalist division educators. The line up of sessions on career development planning, core education skills, building connection and belonging, and demonstrating impact towards promotion is outstanding and I’ll be reaching out soon to your team in hopes we can partner to bring your curriculum to the department level, offering it a few times annually for all DOM new clinical faculty educators across divisions. […] It was an honor to be part of the program your team built and to meet your highly engaged junior faculty at today’s session. I really had so much fun.”